If you are looking for a new mattress with your partner, your top concern must be whether it can fit both of you or not. But, can two adults sleep on a full mattress? Also, even though a full mattress (double bed) has been considered the standard bed size for couples, is it comfortable for accommodating two adults? To have an answer to all these questions, read further!
Can Two Adults Sleep On a Full Mattress?
If you're in the market for a new mattress, that’s definitely one thing that you can’t overlook is that you are a couple. It is so important that both partners get their personal space to sleep in as well as cuddle.
span style="font-weight: 400;">And while making all those choices, the first question that strikes you is- Can a couple sleep on a full mattress? <
Yes, two adults can sleep on a full mattress! But sometimes, it depends on their individual concerns and preferences.
A Brief History of Mattress Sizes
Full size mattresses have always been popular among couples. However, the full-size mattress size options have changed over the years.
Until the late 19th century, mattresses came in various sizes and shapes. This created confusion related to bed sheets and blanket sizes as well. Beginning in the 1870s, manufacturers began to standardize mattress sizes.
Original Mattress Sizes
In the late 19th century, there were primarily two-bed sizes:
- Full or Double Mattress (54 inches wide by 75 inches long)
- Single Mattress (38 inches wide by 75 inches long)
The manufacturers also attempted to create a 3/4th mattress, but it never gained popularity like the other two options.
Single beds (today’s twin beds) could comfortably accommodate one sleeper. A full or Double mattress could accommodate two.
Modern Mattress Sizes
In the 1950s, larger mattress sizes like king and queen were introduced. These provided more sleeping space for taller people and could easily accommodate more than two people.
After their introduction, full-size mattresses were not the only option for couples and adults. However, even today, a full-size bed can be a good choice for couples or single adults who like compact sleeping spaces.
Which Is The Most Popular Mattress Size?
According to the study done by Statista, almost half of the American adults preferred sleeping on queen size beds, making it the most popular option and the best bed size for couples. However, King and full were the next most popular choice for adults in the United States.
Other mattress sizes are available in the market, including California king size beds, twin size mattresses, and twin XL beds.
Who Are Full-Size Mattresses Best for?
Is a full bed big enough for two? Yes. In fact, it was considered the best choice for couples and adults for a long time. But today, there are plenty of mattress size options, making it confusing for the buyers. A full-size bed is good for the following:
- People with small spaces: People with smaller bedrooms can use full-size beds to make their rooms look spacious. They can use the extra space to keep floor lamps or other furniture. Make sure you have enough space to walk around after placing your bed.
- People Looking for a Budget-Friendly Option Full-size bed dimensions are more than enough if you and your partner are intimate sleepers. It can provide you with enough sleeping and cuddling space.
- People Looking for a Budget-Friendly Option: A full-size bed is cheaper than a queen or king bed. Even queen or king-size bedding accessories cost more than a full-size bed.
- People Who Care About Style and Appearance: As full beds have been popular for a long time, it’s comparatively easy to find stylish headboards and bed frames for a full-size bed. Even if you get a queen size headboard, you can use a full size mattress with a queen headboard.
When Should You Upgrade to Larger Mattress Sizes?
If you can relate to any of the following points, you need a larger mattress.
- You or your sleeping partner are over 6 feet tall
- You and your partner sleep with pets or children
- You both move a lot in sleep and change your sleeping positions
- You and your partner don’t like proximity while sleeping
- If you sleep hot and need space from your partner
The extra space provided by the more extensive beds can solve all the above problems. A queen size bed will be enough, but you can also get a large bed like a king or California king if required.
To conclude, yes, two adults can sleep on a double bed or full mattress. However, if you want more sleeping space, you can consider buying a queen or king mattress. It has enough space to accommodate two sleepers.