A trundle bed is a two-in-one bed with two separate units of beds. It has a rolling mattress that can be used whenever required. This bed is ideal for kids and adults as it can accommodate two people easily. The top unit is the standard bed, and the bottom unit is placed underneath the bed on wheels. The lower bed is a little bit smaller than the standard bed's size.
If you are thinking, how does a trundle bed work? It’s easy; you can roll out the bottom unit when you require additional bedding and roll it back inside when not. It saves a lot of space in the room while giving you the benefits of full-sized beds. The lower unit bed requires a thin mattress of about 6 to 8 inches without a box spring.
Purpose of a Trundle Bed: What is a trundle bed used for?
It is a very practical bed for kids and adults. Adults can also sleep in this bed, but most people buy it for their children. If you look at it, this bed can easily accommodate an extra person. Additional bedding is required when you have overnight guests, or when kids have sleepovers.
Trundle beds are apt for people who live in small apartments or studio apartments because they benefit from having two separate beds while having one and making the room look spacious. It is also beneficial for new parents who want to keep their babies close to them. Not just for newborns, but kids can easily enjoy sleeping on a Trundle bed.
It is perfect for kids to jump on and play around because the construction of the trundle bed is done in such a manner that it can withstand kids jumping on the bed easily.
Advantages of a Trundle Bed
- Space efficiency: Trundle beds occupy minimal space compared to regular beds. This is one of the biggest pros of the trundle bed. It is pretty compact and can be adjusted according to the need. Another advantage is that they are easy to pull out and put in as they are lightly weighed.
- The best substitute for bunk beds: If you have children sharing the same room, you can go for trundle beds without a second thought. This is because it eliminates the chances of your kids falling off the bed and getting hurt. This makes trundle beds a safe alternative to bunk beds, and it comes in handy when children have sleepovers.
- They have additional storage: Certain types of trundle beds come with drawers that give ample space to store pillows, cushions, bedsheets, etc. Some styles even come with mini shelves. Wow, a bed that understands your storage needs. Isn’t that cool? Trundle beds without additional storage facilities can still be used to store things when the bottom unit’s mattress is removed.
- They are pocket-friendly: The cost of a trundle bed is the same as the price of a standard bed. This is affordable and cost-effective because it gives you two beds at one price.
- A lot you can choose from: Trundle beds come in various shapes, designs, colors, and construction. You can choose the type that fits your room and facilitates your requirements. Trundle beds are usually constructed in a very artistic way, making your room look more attractive.
Drawbacks of a Trundle Bed
- Not so comfortable: Trundle beds are not as comfortable as regular beds because the area of trundle beds is comparatively small. It might be difficult to get a good night’s sleep on a small surface. Hence, these beds are not suitable for regular use for adults.
- Hard to move: One cannot move the bed easily while the bottom unit is pulled out. Another thing is if the bed is kept close to the wall, then getting out of it can become an issue. Why? Because you’ll have to disturb the other person sleeping in the lower unit of the bed since there's only one way out.
- Small mattress space: The largest size available in the markets for a trundle bed is a twin bed. This is a small size and won’t accommodate adults easily. Another thing to notice is that the trundle bed’s lower unit requires a mattress without a box spring and cushioning. This makes it thinner than the usual mattress used in a standard bed.
- Capacity limitation: The capacity of the trundle beds is restricted to 250 pounds. Hence a person weighing more than 250 lbs cannot use trundle beds. It may break if anyone weighing more than 250 lbs uses them.
Types of Trundle Beds
While the idea of a trundle bed might excite you, exploring different types of trundle beds and finding the one that suits you will excite you even more. Yes, there are a variety of trundle beds available in the market. Let’s explore the types in detail.
- Daybed Trundle: A daybed trundle can accommodate two people comfortably. This type of trundle bed comes in handy if you require a lounge space as it can be doubled as a couch too. The beauty of this bed is that you can keep the inner mattress hidden when not in use and pull it out during the evening.
- Bunk Trundle: The bunk trundle has three sleeper spaces and, three teens can comfortably sleep in a bunk trundle bed. Adding to your surprise, a trundle bed can accommodate up to five kids, two in each compartment, one on top. Sounds amazing, right? A bunk trundle bed is the best bed for children.
- Captain's bed: This is a trundle bed with storage that has ample space to store things as it comes with drawers on either side of the bed and shelves on the headboard. If you are looking for a bed with high storage capacity, you should go for one.
- Sleigh beds: Sleigh beds usually consist of a headboard and footboard that is slightly curved outwards. It adds a royal outlook to the room. If you really like the idea of trundle beds, then you should invest in sleigh trundle beds for sure.
Trundle Bed Frames
Nowadays, bed frames come with a lot of options, which is a good thing, as you get to choose what you like and set your room with the perfect decor too. When talking about trundle bed frames, these are popular options available in the market.
- Pop-up frame: The popup frame comes out from beneath the bed and can be equal to the upper unit bed. This will give you extra space, and if you have a twin trundle bed, then it can be equalized with the upper unit bed, forming a king-size bed. This frame can be used as trundle beds for adults.
- Drawer frame: This is the most classic form of the trundle bed frame. Just like a drawer, it slides in and out beneath the upper unit of the bed. This frame can also be used as a storing unit without a mattress on it.
Are Trundle Beds Comfortable?
The comforts of trundle beds mainly depend on the mattress that is used. This is because a trundle bed requires a thin mattress within six to ten inches without a box spring. If you use a mattress that doesn’t match these measurements, then the trundle bed might get uncomfortable. But getting the right mattress can give you so much comfort, just like a standard bed.
As far as kids are concerned, trundle beds are a great choice, but trundle beds will not be suitable for adults who have back problems. It can increase the pain as the lower unit of the trundle bed lacks cushioning and that might make it hard.
What Size Is a Trundle Bed?
Typically a trundle bed is about 38 inches x 75 inches x 4 inches as most of them are capable of holding a twin size mattress, but the dimensions can vary depending on the different variety of trundle beds. These are broadly available in twin, full, or queen sizes. You can also get your trundle bed custom-made according to your desired dimensions.
What Is the Best Size Mattress for a Trundle Bed?
Generally, a twin mattress is suitable for most trundle beds, but it is important to measure your bed to get the right fitting mattress. The thickness of the mattress, irrespective of the trundle bed size, should not be more than 8 inches at all because anything more than 8 inches will disturb the upper unit’s bed frame.
You can explore the markets online and offline to get the desired mattresses for a trundle bed. Usually, you’ll find them along with the bed, and if you want a custom size, the best bet would be to ask the shop from where you are buying. Maybe, these people can help you to get the mattresses perfect for your trundle bed.
How to Style Your Bedroom with a Trundle Bed?
- Guestrooms: With the help of trundle beds, a small guest room can be made efficient to accommodate many people.
- Office daybeds: Office daybeds can be used as a sofa during the day and can be pulled out when guests arrive.
- Kids bed trundle: This bed is very helpful for parents who have got small children. Parents can crash into the trundle bed when kids are to be nursed when they are down with an illness.
- Sleepovers: Trundle beds are the best choices for kids who organize sleepovers with friends. Sleepover gets super comfortable and cozy with a trundle bed that accommodates a bunch of kids together.
What Are the Best Alternatives for a Trundle Bed?
Murphy bed is also known as wall bed where the bed frame is stored vertically against the wall and can be pulled down when needed.
Futons are a combination of couch and bed. During the day, the frame can be folded into the couch, and it can be flattened at night.
A sofa bed is a couch that has a mattress tucked into the frame. It also has seat cushions apart from the mattress.
Rollaway beds can be transported and stored easily. The metal frames of the bed have wheels and they can be folded when not needed.
Air mattress is inflatable beds that come in handy on camping trips. The best thing about air mattresses is they do not require a box spring.
The Final Word
Trundle beds are great for children and sometimes adults. They are great space savers and can be useful in guest rooms too. There are various types and styles available in the market. You can choose whichever you like the best. Couples who have small children or new parents find this bed useful. It is a practical bed that understands your needs and gives you something more than just a single bed.