If you are in the market for new sheets, you must have come across microfiber vs cotton sheets. Which one is better? While the cotton sheets have reigned in the market for a long time, microfiber gives tough competition.
This article will walk you through everything about microfiber sheets vs cotton. So, you can enjoy a good night’s rest on your soft comfy sheets. Just keep reading to know all about cotton vs microfiber sheets!
What Are Cotton Sheets?
Coming straight from cotton plants, cotton sheets are natural and organic. Good quality sheets made of cotton are a universal favorite due to their softness and breathability. They might just be your perfect companion if you sweat a lot at night. They can wick off the moisture from your skin, ensuring you stay dry and comfortable. Doctors often recommend cotton bed sheets to people with allergies and skin problems.
Cotton Sheets: Pros and Cons
Let’s take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of cotton sheets.
- High breathability makes the sheets cool, and you will love them if you sweat a lot at night
- Cotton sheets are a natural fiber that feels super smooth on your skin. So, your hyper-sensitive skin will face no problems. They are suitable for people with eczema and rashes.
- Cotton sheets have a strong weave and can easily last for 3-5 years. They come in several varieties of colors, designs, and textures.
- They might be the most comfortable sheets, but the best cotton sheets are pretty expensive. So, purchasing put or Egyptian cotton sheets for all your beds might be pricey.
- Being a natural fiber, cotton is more prone to wear and tear. Artificial fibers are giving it stiff competition.
Things to check while buying Cotton Sheets
If you are planning to purchase cotton sheets, these below-mentioned factors are a few things you should consider.
Understand The Fabric
Pure cotton sheets are the best. However, when looking for your sheets, always check the content of the fabric because sometimes they come with a polyester blend to make it a cheaper alternative. When it comes to cotton there are three types, Upland cotton, Egyptian cotton, and Pima cotton.
The cotton fabric doesn’t have set durability because they are woven into several different patterns. So, while the common lifespan of cotton is about 3-4 years, it can even increase as per the pattern. The most popular cotton weaves are percale, sateen, and flannel.
USDA or GOTS certifications mean that the cotton that’s cultivated is without the use of pesticides or herbicides. However, these sheets come at a higher price point.
When it comes to cotton sheets, the higher thread count the better. The best cotton sheets are between 300-500 thread count. A lower thread count may not give you a great experience.
The Right Size
Finally, while choosing your sheets, make sure it seamlessly fits your bed. Cotton sheets are also available in various colors and prints, so you can easily choose one that matches the aesthetics of your room.
What Are Microfiber Sheets?
Microfiber sheets are made of nylon, polyester, and even wood pulp. The super-thin fibers are synthetic and are woven tightly, making them durable. They feel soft on the skin and are quite cheap compared to other natural fibers.
Microfiber Sheets: Pros and Cons
- Despite being made of synthetic material, microfiber sheets are pretty breathable.
- Their moisture repelling properties will keep you cool and dry. They are soft to touch. However, the texture is silky, unlike cotton sheets.
- This velvety feel comes from brushed microfiber sheets. They are durable and less prone to wear and tear, unlike cotton sheets.
- A single sheet can easily last more than five years. You do not have to put any superhuman efforts into maintaining them. These sheets are machine washable. Moreover, creases and wrinkles do not form on them.
- They are not as breathable as cotton sheets. So, it’s better to go for other options if you sweat a lot at night or live in humid places.
- They can generate a lot of static electricity when the weather is dry. It happens due to friction. So, it might not be unusual to get a shock on a winter night.
Things to check while buying Microfiber Sheets
These are a few things you must keep in mind when purchasing microfiber sheets.
Understand The Fabric
Unlike cotton; microfiber doesn’t come from natural materials. Microfiber is made of synthetic man-made fabric.
Like cotton sheets, thread count doesn’t apply to microfiber sheets. Here, you will have to consider GSM or grams per square meter. Anything above 100 is stronger and lower than that can rip easily.
There are different types of microfiber sheets available as per their weave. As mentioned above, GSM or Grams Per Square Meter is the measurement used to check the quality. If the GSM is above 100, the quality is high. Another indication of quality is brushing. To make the fabric soft and velvety, the fabric is brushed for plushness. You will also find double-brushed microfiber sheets. Here, the sheets are brushed on both sides for full comfort.
You will find microfiber sheets in both percale and sateen weave. This gives it the crispiness of cotton sheets and makes them more durable.
Finally, it is imperative that you choose the right size, so it fits your mattress perfectly.
Difference Between Microfiber and Cotton Sheets
|Parameters||Cotton Sheets||Microfiber Sheets|
|Durability||3-4 years||2-3 years|
|Care and Maintenance||Easy||Easy|
If you are still confused about how to choose between cotton and microfiber, take a look at the differences given below.
Feel and Comfort
One of the essential things your sheets should provide is softness and coziness. Cotton sheets are right there with you. With every wash, cotton sheets become softer. You will also find types of bed sheets in cotton with varying thread counts. Only when the thread count is too low will the sheets become rough.
Coming to microfiber sheets, they are smooth and have a silky quality. So, if you are looking for a silky texture, microfiber is your best choice.
Cotton sheets are durable, especially the ones with higher thread count. However, cotton becomes softer with each wash and the chances of wear and tear increase. On the other hand, Microfiber sheets are more durable and don’t deteriorate with a wash. But, they wrinkle quickly and may also slightly shrink.
Maintenance & Care
Maintaining both cotton and microfiber sheets is effortless. You can machine wash them and use a dryer too. However, microfiber sheets that come with a waffle weave absorb moisture very easily and it becomes difficult to remove stains from them.
Both cotton and microfiber sheets are available at various prices and come in luxurious and affordable variants. For instance, if the thread count of the cotton sheets is high, they are expensive.
Both microfiber and cotton sheets are cool and wick away any moisture. So, even during summers, you can rest easy as your sheets won’t make you all sweaty.
Finally, both cotton and microfiber sheets are breathable and ensure proper ventilation.
These are the factors you must consider when choosing between cotton or microfiber!
You Should Buy Microfiber Sheets If :
- You want a hassle-free life. They require low maintenance and won’t take much of your precious time.
- You don’t want creases on your sheet. These sheets remain plain and wrinkle-free after repeated washes.
- You want to explore and try out different materials
- If you do not want rough fiber ends to stick out of your sheet after washing.
You Should Buy Cotton Sheets If :
- You are looking for sheets that keep you cool. Cotton sheets are porous and breathable. So, they let the air pass through them. Thus, your body heat does not get trapped
- You want your sheets to be soft and cozy. The softness of a cotton sheet can lull you to sleep
- You are prone to allergies or have sensitive skin. Well, nothing can be better for the skin than a soft cotton sheet
- You are willing to put the effort to maintain your sheets
- You want something royal and exquisite like Egyptian cotton sheets
Best Cotton Sheets by Dreamcloud
If you are looking for the best cotton sheets to grace your mattress, all you need is cotton sheets by Dreamcloud. The luxury bedding offers premium comfort. Available in all standard sizes, including Cal King, they offer breathable comfort. The long-lasting diagonal twill weave pattern of Dreamcloud cotton sheets is soft and keeps you cool. So, if you are still wondering about cotton or microfiber sheets, Dreamcloud cotton sheets are superb for you!
So, what is the best material for sheets? Well, by now you have realized that no one sheet fits all. You will have your unique preferences. While both cotton and microfiber sheets are excellent, it is always better to choose according to your requirements.