Wondering how to wash a duvet? Have you ever washed a duvet? If you have, you might know that cleaning a duvet is entirely different from washing other bedding accessories, primarily because of the heaviness of the duvet. You need to be a bit more cautious while washing a duvet. Our detailed guide explains how to wash a duvet and get rid of all the allergens, dirt, etc., in cleaning.
What Is a Duvet?
Duvet is a soft bedding type that consists of a bag composed of fillers such as down, feather, or other synthetic material. The bag that covers the filling material is known as a duvet cover, and the filler used inside is known as a duvet insert.
Another popular blanket that you might have often come across is a comforter, and you might be wondering what the difference is between a duvet and a comforter. Well! A comforter is a fluffy blanket that you can use without any bag or a cover. Both duvet and comforter help you get a cozy sleep by providing you with a soft, furry cushion.
How to Wash a Duvet?
Washing your beloved duvet for the first time may seem challenging, but following the proper steps will simplify this process. Let’s understand the steps to clean a duvet in detail.
You need to follow some pre-washing steps before washing the duvet.
- The filler inside the duvet consists of wool, feathers, or synthetic fibers and may cause problems while washing. Hence, check for any wear and tear in your duvet and immediately cover it using stitches, cloth, or tape.
- Check the label of the manufacturer before washing your duvet. The duvet washing instructions on the label will indicate whether to wash it at home or take it to a professional cleaner.
- Remove the duvet cover before putting the duvet into the washing machine.
Once you are done with the pre-washing rituals, you can start washing the duvet insert by following the steps below.
Put the Duvet in the Washing Machine
Before placing the duvet in a washing machine, ensure that your duvet is wrinkle-free. Also, ensure that you use a large-capacity front load washer to clean the duvet.
Select the Temperature
Ensure that you use the optimum temperature while washing the duvet. Most manufacturers mention the optimum temperature at which you can wash the duvet. If the temperature is not mentioned, you can wash the duvet at 60 degrees celsius.
Select a Suitable Detergent
Depending on the type of stain on your duvet, you can select the detergent. In the case of a regular wash without any stains, you can use a mild detergent to wash the duvet. However, if there are visible stains on your duvet, you can use your regular washing detergent.
You can also check the label of your duvet for any specific instructions related to the quantity and type of detergent to be used. Always use half the amount of detergent mentioned in the label to avoid extra foaming.
Switch On the Washing Machine
First of all, set your washing machine to a medium mode and on a delicate rinse cycle. You can also use tennis or dryer balls in the washer to maintain the softness of the duvet.
Reorder the Duvet
To deep clean your duvet, you may need to rearrange the duvet insert in the washing machine after every 20 minutes. It will make sure that your duvet looks clean and brand new.
Rinse and Dry
Once the duvet insert is washed thoroughly, repeat another cycle to clean your duvet insert thoroughly, and no detergent stains are left on the surface of the duvet insert.
After washing, you can air-dry your duvet naturally or use a machine dryer. Ensure that you use low or medium heat while drying the duvet insert. Also, try rearranging the duvet insert after specific time intervals to dry it thoroughly.
You can wash the duvet cover using the similar steps mentioned above. Ensure that you wash the duvet cover at least once every month to keep it clean and new.
How to Spot Clean a Duvet?
So you do not want to wash your duvet in a washing machine. Don’t worry! You can spot clean your duvet using these easy steps.
- Vacate the area or the spot you want to clean
- Prepare a mild detergent solution and gently rub it on the stain.
- Clean the spot with water. Ensure that the nearby duvet insert is not affected by any moisture.
- Air-dry the spot or use a dryer to dry the stained area.
How to Wash a Duvet Without a Washing Machine?
The duvet is often too large to use a washing machine to clean it. However, you can certainly hand wash the entire duvet using a few simple steps.
Before starting, go through the care instructions on the label before hand-washing the duvet.
- Use a large container or a tub and fill it halfway with warm water.
- Add detergent to the water and mix it thoroughly to prepare a detergent solution. You can select the detergent based on the instructions mentioned in the label of the duvet.
- Put the duvet in the detergent solution and stir it slowly. Ensure that the detergent water reaches every corner of your duvet.
- Drain the detergent water.
- Rinse the duvet in freshwater
- Continue the process until there are no detergent residuals left on the duvet.
- Drain the water out of your duvet and spread the insert uniformly across the surface.
- Dry the duvet using a dryer or simply air-dry the duvet.
How Often Should You Wash Your Duvet?
Wondering how often you should wash your duvet? You should wash your duvet at least once every year. People suffering from health conditions such as allergies or asthma should consider washing the duvet twice every year.
You need to wash the duvet cover at least once every month, as it is constantly exposed to dust, dirt, and sweat. Cleaning the duvet cover is very easy, similar to your bed sheets and linens.
Tips to Keep Your Duvet Clean
Why bother washing your duvet when you can keep your duvet clean for a long time. Below are a few tips to keep your duvet clean and increase its longevity.
- Ensure that your duvet cover is buttoned or is appropriately zipped.
- Always place your duvet inside the duvet cover; it acts as a shield and protects your duvet from dust and dirt.
- Avoid eating and drinking on your duvet.
- Wash your duvet cover regularly, especially if you have kids or pets at home.
- Avoid any moisture or body sweat to come in contact with your duvet.
The Final Word
Clean and hygienic bedding plays a significant role in getting good quality sleep. Washing a duvet is simple, provided you follow the step-by-step guide correctly. Hopefully, you will follow our step-by-step guide and clean your beloved duvet regularly to get good quality sleep regularly.